Skateboard grip tape is an incremental part of a skateboard setup. The grip tape provides the rider with friction between their deck and their shoes which in return provides grip for the rider to maintain his/her balance on the board whilst skating.
The best skateboard grip tape available to purchase online today is the Jessup Grip Tape as it provides the greatest surface quality layer with unprecedented levels of grip that is provided to the rider.
Found in this article, is details on the most highly recommended skateboard grip tapes online. Ensure that you take key notice on certain factors of a skateboard grip tape such as its dimensions, design, adhesive properties and non-bubble application as these factors can affect your performance ability.
Table of Contents
- Best Skateboard Grip Tape
- Skateboard Grip Tape Buying Guide
Skateboard Grip Tape Comparison
|Skateboard Grip Tape||Dimensions||Designs|
|Grizzly Grip Stamp Print Grip Tape||33 x 10 Inches||3|
|Jessup Grip Tape||33 x 9 Inches||8|
|Mob Skateboard Grip Tape||33 x 10 Inches||3|
|Black Diamond Grip Tape||33 x 9 Inches||20|
|Regular Foot OG Bear Grip Tape||33 x 9.3 Inches||1|
|ZUEXT Grip Tape||44 x 11 Inches||1|
It is important to factor in certain aspects of a skateboard grip before purchasing one online. This is because you want the grip tape you wish to acquire to have certain properties in order to improve your grip to the deck such as more grain and perforation for better grip, this will benefit you in the long run performance wise.
Additionally you’ll want to have anti-bubble properties and strong adhesive to ensure easy application, as well as less hassle when adding your grip tape to your new deck.
Below is a list of the best skateboard grip tapes that provide better grip whilst riding along with a more aesthetically pleasing designs.
Best Skateboard Grip Tape
The Jessup Skateboard Grip Tape is the most suitable skateboard grip tape for the widest audience of riders, whether they’re newbies or pros who have been riding for years. This is because the rough aluminum oxide grit with an aggressive adhesive designed specifically for the demands of the tough impacts and usage from even the most aggressive skater.
In terms of the features of the Jessup Skateboard Grip Tape, they include:
- Aluminum oxide grit surface.
- Dimensions: 33 x 9 inches.
- Various sheet and roll options for purchase.
- Perfect for any level of skater.
Overall the Jessup skateboard grip is perfect for any new skateboard/deck setup or a great replacement grip tape as it’s easy to use, with anti-bubble properties which allow for it to easily bond to the deck with effortless conform-ability and easy trimming.Check it Out
2. Grizzly Grip Stamp Print
The Grizzly Grip Stamp Print Tape is the best available skateboard grip tape online for purchase, presently. This is because the Grizzly skateboard grip tape is a very user-friendly, easy to use grip tape to apply that has anti-bubble properties which makes gluing it to your deck an easy task.
In terms of the features of the Grizzly Grip Stamp Print Tape, they include:
- Three variable color-ways.
- Anti-Bubble properties.
- More grain and perforation for better grip.
- Dimensions: 33 x 10 inches.
- Ideal for casual/experienced skaters.
Overall this grip tape is among one of the most highly regarded contenders out there as it’s produced by the most reputable skateboard grip tape brands with flawless feedback on its longevity and its high levels of quality due to its increased grain and perforation for improved levels of grip which are unmatched by rivals.Check it Out
3. Mob Grip Tape For Skateboards
The Mob Skateboard Grip Tape is one of the most popular rider chosen skateboard grip tape due it’s higher than competitors quality standards. This is because the Mob grip tape has hundreds of barely-visible perforations that allow air to escape for a bubble-free application which further pushes it’s user friendliness as a product.
In terms of the features of the Mob Skateboard Grip Tape, they include:
- Dimensions: 33 x 10 inches.
- Exclusive silicon-carbide grit binding process for grip with longevity and durability.
- High-strength, waterproof, tear-proof backing that trims cleanly every time.
- Various ‘Red’ product options for purchase.
In conclusion, the Mob Skateboard grip tape is most likely the most popular skateboard grip tape around as it is one of the more compatible grip tapes for various deck sizes on the market. Additionally it also has super sticky adhesive that won’t peel in extreme heat or cold, which makes it great for any conditions.Check it Out
4. Black Diamond Grip Tape
The Black Diamond skateboard grip tape is the most customize-able/creative grip tape available out there, this is because it comes in twenty different color-ways which is outstanding when compared to it’s competitors who main only have two different designs.
In terms of the features of the Mob Skateboard Grip Tape, they include:
- Dimensions: 33 x 9 inches.
- This high quality grip is super strong, waterproof, and weatherproof.
- The 80 grit silicon carbide surface will provide you with great traction for your deck.
- The enhanced grit helps provide support and gives your shoes a firm grip on the board.
In conclusion, this is the most creative option for any rider who’s looking to explore a more unique design for their skateboard grip tape along with having a great quality grip tape with features such as a grip tape that features industrial grade glue that adheres to any deck surface. This enables that it will not peel or wear out easily.Check it Out
5. Regular Foot OG Bear Cut-Out
The next option is another reputable brand option with ‘Grizzly Grip’ again, with another design take on it’s already impressive grip tape design properties with a bear cut-out. Grizzly Grip are among one of the highest quality grip tape’s you can buy online as they have properties such as perforated bubble free grip tape which makes application easier.
In terms of the features of the Grizzly Grip OG Bear Cut-Out Skateboard Grip Tape, they include:
- Dimensions: 33 x 9.3 inches.
- High-strength & waterproof, bubble free grip tape.
- Removable Bear logo.
- Suitable for casual & experienced riders
Overall, the ‘Grizzly Grip’ brand has done it again with a high quality grip tape which has great feedback from riders on it’s longevity along with its unique design standing out from its competitors. Additionally, it has exceptional properties such as increased grain and perforation for improved levels of grip for the rider.Check it Out
6. ZUEXT Grip Tape
The final recommendation for the best skateboard grip tape is the ZUEXT grip tape, which is an excellent replacement or first time deck setup grip tape. This is because it is a very easy to use grip tape with factors such as it’s grip tape with hundreds of barely-visible perforations that allow air to escape for a bubble-free application.
Features of the ZUEXT Skateboard Grip Tape, they include:
- Dimensions: 44 x 11 inches.
- Thick up to 1.5mm. Exclusive Silicon-Carbide grit binding process for grip that will not wear out.
- Super sticky adhesive that won’t peel in extreme heat or cold.
- Best adhesion and grip designed for skateboard riders of all levels – Improves rider’s grip which leads to better tricks and greater safety.
Overall this is a great, simple and affordable skateboard grip tape for any level of rider to purchase as it also goes above what it is expected as a product with attributes such as it is One-by-One Rolled by Hand to Prevent Creases and that it has extra adhesive for further longevity.Check it Out
Skateboard Grip Tape Buying Guide
Purchasing new grip tape for your skateboard deck can be a difficult choice to make. Many newbie or even experienced riders may struggle with this decision, especially when not knowing which factors to look at for. Although in this guide we explain key features you should check out before purchasing a new grip tape for your deck !
Do skateboards come with grip tape?
Yes, if you purchase a ready to ride complete skateboard deck(a fully assembled board that has trucks, wheels, etc included) then your skateboard should already have grip tape located on the opposite side of the decks graphic underside.
Commonly its unlikely that a complete skateboard deck will come complete without grip tape applied to it, although if this isn’t the case or you need a replacement your local skate shop should be able to apply it onto your deck at a relatively low price or you can follow the application guide further down below this article.
Skateboard grip tape size
One of the most important factors you will need to consider before purchasing a skateboard grip tape is the dimensions. Typically, for a conventional skateboard you will require a dimension size of at least 33 x 9 inches which will be compatible to fit the grip tape onto your deck with ease.
An important factor for reliability and longevity is the stickiness factor of the skateboard grip tape. This is because having strong adhesive on your grip tape will ensure it will remain strongly applied to your deck despite whatever abuse or weather it will encounter. Additionally having strong adhesive will ensure that it will not be potentially prone to tearing or having air bubbles which will negatively effect your stance and comfort whilst rider which can hinder trick performance.
Having an awesome design is additionally an important factor when deciding a grip tape, as you may get more respect having a ‘Grizzly Grip‘ tape at the park than a blank sheet. Although this area is completely subjective to the rider and their preference.
How to put grip tape on a skateboard deck
- Firstly you need to ensure that you have these items; deck, grip tape, cross head screw driver and a box/carpet cutter knife.
- You then lay out the skateboard on a flat surface, preferably a floor or table to avoid any accidents – ensure that its graphic side down!
- Then you’ll need to peel the back paper off the grip tape revealing the sticky side which you will then line up above your deck.
- Ensure that the deck is covered end-to-end!
- Then the common method is to start from one side by allowing one end of the grip tape to stick to the nose or tail of the board.
- You’ll then start putting pressure on the one end of the board you’ve stuck to the deck and use your hands to press the tape to the middle of the board – ensure that you push out any air gaps!
- You’ll continue to then push down on the rest of the grip tape and move down the board, ensuring that you’re putting pressure down on the board.
- You should end up with the entire of the deck now being covered and probably being overlapped by the grip tape – double check at this stage that there are no air bubbles!
- The next stage of this is to remove the excess grip tape overlapping the deck.
- To do this you firstly will want to mark the edge of the grip tape to make it easier for you to cut it back, as this will act as guidelines.
- Use a screw driver as described earlier and scrape along the edges of the deck on the grip tape, this should provide you with a tracing line as seen in the image below.
- Next you’ll want to handle the box/carpet cutter as described earlier and begin to cut around the over lapping grip tape with the guide lines that you have previously created – please ensure that this is done on a flat surface for safety reasons!
- To begin its easy enough to pierce the lip of the grip tape that is overlapping against the edge of the board as a starter point instead of trying to work it from the outer side of the grip tape to begin with.
- Whilst cutting along the tracing lines you create, make sure to cut away from yourself ensure that you’re not prone to any accidents.
- After the grip tape is cut to shape, you can use the excess grip tape that is cut away to sand down the edges of the deck to make it smoother.
- Then the final stage is to create holes for your hardware which will attach the deck to your trucks.
- To do this you’ll need to use your screwdriver and a hardware bolt and push through the holes gently ensuring that you will not tear the grip tape – just press through gently and slowly apply pressure, it will go through.
- Once you have done this for all eight hardware bolt areas, you should now have a fully applied grip tape to you skateboard deck!
In conclusion, a final few words to say on skateboard grip tapes is that, overall there a few key properties to look out for before deciding a brand to go with but it isn’t something to over complicate. Each grip tape has their advantages whether its easy to apply onto your deck or that they have unique qualities such as more grain and perforation for better grip enabling you to have better performance. Certain factors do have to be considered though, for instance ensure that the grip tape dimensions are correct otherwise the grip tape will not fit your deck correctly! Be sure to also choose an awesome graphic/design so you stand out in the park that also allows you to feel comfortable on the board with the amount of grip you are provided with.